I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Friday, December 11, 2015

DC New 52 - Hawk and Dove #1-5 (Wonder Twins, ACTIVATE!)


So I really wanted to like this series. I really did, but then, the more I read, the more I felt as though it was trying to shoehorn in a lot of backstory that was completely unoriginal. Given this and the unlike-ability of Hawk's character really made this one difficult to get into.  But Dove is a hottie, so I kept reading.

For some reason the character of Hawk kept reminding me of Raphael from the 1980s TMNT cartoon. There's really no substance here; it's more like a man child playing at being a superhero, but not in the good way that Captain Marvel does it. Honestly if they removed Hawk from the duo, and focused on Dove not knowing where her powers come from or something like that and trying to discover it (or even about her and her dead boyfriend) I think it would have been better. Instead, you get a moody ass that's okay because his brother died.  I call BS.  It's like if Batman was a douche with powers and without the interesting moral delimas he consistently struggles with.
As an added bonus, because Hawk and Dove have to stick together (we're told it makes them stronger but we never actually see the evidence) you're constantly reminded that this duo basically says something and turns them into Super Heroes, not unlike The Wonder Twins from the Superfriends cartoon, which completely undermines the seriousness Im supposed to get from them...
But Dove is hot so I kept reading.



After looking past the annoyingness that is Hawk, it felt as though the writers were trying to establish a world much bigger than the substance of the book itself. And while this may work with some characters (like Superboy and NOWHERE, or Supergirl and the world destroyers) I really felt like the story could have benefited from not introducing some cult that all have powers and some Highlander that goes around and eating them. It diminishes how unique both Dove and Hawk are just to set up a villain who for all intents and purposes was a throwaway within these five issues.  If they would have been given 18 issue drawn-out discovery of the war avatars, culminating into a massive showdown to this Sylar-wannabe, the payoff would have been extremely satisfying, and the mystery leading up to it would have been way more interesting than simply an exposition by the villain.  Take a page from Night of the Owls, guys.

Seriously?  At this point, Hawk is just taking up space.  He's like that annoying member of a group you just have to put up with but doesn't realize he's not liked.

Still, dat Dove booty...
Not sure if it'll keep me coming back but it got me through the shallow end of the pool.

Pretty sure that Hannibal wannabe is checking out her ass too.  It's honestly what got me through the more boring parts of the series so far...




No comments:

Post a Comment