I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

DC New52 - StormWatch #0 (aka SpoilerWatch)

Okay so I'm pretty sure that there were a few DC headquarters that didn't get the memo... These are ZERO issues.  They are meant to introduce or tell flash-backs or something to entice new readers and give veteran readers insights into the current runs of the series.  Introduce a new villain that we're about to see in the current run.  Show something that ties into what's currently going on with the character.  Have a character remembering something important to the current story, while telling something from their past!'

Anything other than just using this as a current book in the run.  And that's exactly what StormWatch did.  I'm giving it a normal read, not understanding anything that's really going on, but thinking they'll do a flashback or something.  Nope.  The third or forth page I get this:


I'm okay with some spoilers; having Green Lantern Kyle Rayner and Star Saphire talking about something I haven't caught up with yet in another Green Lantern book is okay.  I know that very soon, it'll be a reveal in that book... and it's usually not that major.  Kyle says, "Yeah, Hal took off to do that one thing... Hope it's going well."  Boom!  no crazy earth-shattering spoiler.  But man, when I read that above, it totally turned me off from continuing this book... maybe even the series.  When three or four pages in, you get a "This character was killed in a book you haven't read yet!" note from the editor, it really leaves a sour taste in a new reader's mouth.  Furthermore, this isn't a Superman book.  This isn't Justice League.  This is a NEW team book, consisting of some characters I don't even know.  It's supposed to be about time-travel, or dimensional travel and such, and I was totally willing to give it a shot.  An illuminati of alternate realities or time-watchers?  Oh yeah!  But then this... "It is you.  Adam One!"  You were killed in Stormwatch #5...

arg... wtf DC editor guy?




No comments:

Post a Comment