I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Monday, May 11, 2015

DC New52 - Earth 2 #0 (Is this a recap?)

So I really feel like I'm missing something here. DC put out this month of prequel zero issues a few issues into their new 52 reboot as a sort of intro / origin for each title... Chances are if I had read issues leading up to the Zero issue, maybe I'd know what's going on. Wouldn't that go against the spirit of what these zero issues are supposed to be?  And for the guy that's slow to the starting line & reading in chronological order, Zero is before issue one.  If that's the case, why am I presented with this recap, and at the end get a "Continued in issue 5" ?!?!?!


All that said, this story is pretty well written, but without any further context, I'm being spoon fed a story about a character that's a hero on an alternate world believing he has to blow it up to solve the world's issues.  (Too bad I just saw the same plot in Avengers: Age of Ultron.)  I saw spoon fed because I have a hard time believing this guy totally pulled one over on Batman.  Either way, his synthetic Opal Kryptonite made Supes bitch slap Wonder Woman which was epic, so I'll give this hero-turned-villian the benefit of the doubt.

So all-in-all, while I am definitely interested in checking out Earth2, I'm a little confused by this book.  I get there's only one issue to lay down a little backstory, but having a little blurb about their only being 8 supers and that this Mr 8 saw the future of their world, but also other realities, in a small little panel has me wondering wtf is going on.  Furthermore, the back page paragraph of this zero issue mentions the big 3 are dead on Earth2, so again, wtf was up with them living at the end of this story with Mr. 8 explaining that they are needed for saving his world?!?!


I'm cool with all these things if they're flushed out and explored in the Earth2 series.  As I read more, I'm hoping this is the case, and I'll just take this Zero issue as a foreshadowed intro.





No comments:

Post a Comment