I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Monday, May 11, 2015

DC New52 - Ravagers #0 (I'm red, and naked!)

So what primarily serves as and origin story for Beast Boy and Terra, this titled is named Ravagers, simply because they already went through the Ravagers origin in the first Teen Titans / Legion Lost crossover: "Culling: Rise of the Ravagers."  Convuluted as it was, it told the story of all the characters being put in an arena-style fight club underground, where the mysterious N.O.W.H.E.R.E. (not kidding, this is literally an abreviation) is watching to see who makes it out alive.  These special teens would become Harvest's new group, the Ravagers.  Oh, and Harvest's some crazy mofo with black wings, a skull face, and he's from the future.  Got that?  Good.

So instead of trying to do anything like, I dunno... giving us more information on Harvest, or his plans or anything like that, "The Ravagers" issue 0 decides to give us a brief sidelong story about Beast Boy and Terra and their escape, and eventual meet-up with the other escapees.  Oh, then they leave.  So why would I care about these two if they're not even part of the Ravagers?  I dunno; hopefully it'll come into play if I decide to read about all these second-rate characters.  Or, maybe they'll just show up in the Teen Titans book and I'll already have their backstory stored somewhere in my comic-indexing brain.  Sorry, I don't mean to be so cinical (much), but I would expect the book title to actually be about characters that are part of that team?  At least the Teen Titans zero issue had a backstory about Red Robin; I know the entire story was about him solely and that may anger some Teen Titans fans, but reading it didn't feel like a waste of time if you're not a Batman fan.  You got some info about the main character of your book.  Here in Ravagers, I really don't feel like there was any benefit (in regards to my understanding of the team or any of its characters).

I suppose the primary reason for this to exist is to show Beast Boy being experimented on with red junk and turning all red and junk.  Also: gotta love it when a superhero spontaneously calls out their name - and this one does so as a cat!  How's that work anyway?  I didn't think cats had the necessary equipment.


And WHY OH WHY is Beast Boy naked?  Maybe other fans can answer this, but when he used to change in preNew52 days, was he naked after changing back to humanoid?

What's with the little bulge there, buddy?  Can't you morph just that part of ya to impress the ladies?

That said, I may continue reading The Ravagers and see if this pays off somehow, but I'm not sure if I can get through them yet, so no promises!  During the Culling story, I found myself completely board with the Legion Lost characters, and really skimmed those.  I don't normally do that, but if you throw a group of unknown heroes together, you'd better get me in the first few issues.  Throw in time-travel mumbo-jumbo tech in there that feels forced and off-putting, it's a hard sell for me to get invested in.




No comments:

Post a Comment