I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Monday, May 25, 2015

DC New52 - Green Lantern #0 (Is this Pulp Fiction?)

So it looks like we get yet another Green Lantern from Earth in this New52verse.  I'm not really understanding what happened to Jordan or John Stewart at this point.  I know the preNew52verse had Jordan being stripped of his green ring, so maybe that's where this is from?  Either way, I'm a little tired of all the GL titles centering around Earthlings.  With the Corps reaching so many planets within our sector, wouldn't it be neat to see a book solely dedicated to a neighboring planet's race that also has to protect Earth and becomes part of the Justice League, etc...  I know the GL Corps books and New Guardians have some arcs where it'll follow someone, say Kilowag, around and such, but I'm talking a brand new race and some alien chicken that gets the ring and assigned sector 2814 and makes her presence known on Earth and sees there's a crapton of crap happening here so joins with the Justice League, taking the place of Hal?

Or we could get another dude on Earth that gets the ring... again.

What's kinda off putting is that they make it a point several times in this book to draw attention to the fact that Baz is an American despite his race.  I get it DC racism is bad.  But, man stop shoving it in my face: from BatWing having a fully armored suit except for his head so you can see he's black, to the Arabic tat on Simon Baz's arm that glows for some reason when he gets the ring (see cover), I really think you're trying too hard DC.  It's like reverse racisim or something... You're trying so hard NOT to be racist, that you're actually being racist.  They even make a point of pointing out people are being racist to Baz:



Ugh... anyway, something that was funny as hell about this issue is that it reminded me so much of that scene from Pulp Fiction it's hilarious.  I'm really not sure what the editors thought this was supposed to be, and let it go to print, but there's a whole lot of innuendos going on up in here...



I seriously thought the next panel would have someone saying, "Bring out the Gimp," & unless someone can prove it to me, I'm pretty sure we all just saw this Green Lantern rookie get raped.  I don't know what the future hold for the New52 universe, but if this guy sticks around, I'll forever and always remember he totally got the gang-bang initiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment