I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Saturday, May 23, 2015

DC New52 - Green Lantern New Guardians #0 (Thanks for the Spoilers, DC!)

OK so I was under the distinct impression that all these Zero issues were supposed to be, as promised, issues featuring origins and jumping in points for new readers.  Most have lived up to this, while others have gone to tell origins of certain characters (most of which are due to the origin being told in the first arc of the New52 renumbering).  The other two zero issue Green Lantern books follow this pattern: GL Corps being about Guy Gardner and GL being about a newcomer to get the ring. (Reviews of the forthcoming.)

This one, Green Lantern: New Guardians is doesn't follow the above patterns at all.  Not only that, but it feels as though it actually goes out of its way to spoil anyone that may pick this up, not realizing it was smack dab in the middle of a story arc.  What ever happened to the editors not in the front saying, "This story takes place after issue #13," or whatnot?  We actually do get a few of those but it's only after a spoiler is said.


Think about it, you're a newb to comics, you see this cover with all these different ring colored people on it, notice it's issue zero, flip through and see some cool zombie cap and ring slinging, but it and start reading what is actually the middle of a story arc.  I think I would have even liked a preNew52verse recap of the entities, lanterns and colors than this.  Feels like a wasted opportunity.  If your reading through the New52verse starting from these Zero issues, please, do yourself a favor and skil this one; revisit it around issue 10ish of the GL New Guardians New52 books.  I'll be doing that jn the future and hopefully this craziness will make a little more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment