I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

DC New52 - Batwoman #0 (Annoying Panels Await!)

Batwoman has been around for a few years now, and (up to the New52 relaunch) has been someone that you may see in a fleeting cameo, but really didn't have much to do with the BatFamily, per say.  It was enough to know about her and get away with not knowing too much, for the purposes of cross-overs.  I'm not sure if DC is going to keep with that tradition or not, but it's looking more & more like Batwoman is here to stay, especially with her being part of one of the New52 titles. :(


I can't put my finger on exactly why I don't really care for the character, other than the atrocious art and somewhat mundane stories she's been apart of.  First introduced in DC's year-long 52 series, Batwoman was originally supposed to be Barbara Gordon's new costume.  I read that the idea was scrapped due to DC execs wanting to keep Barbara as the Oracle - a disabled super hero in her own right.  I really hoped Batwoman was going to turn out to be Gordon.  I mean, if they can bring back Superman from the dead, Batman's broken back healed, and Jason Todd from a grave, surely they can come up with a way for Barbara to be Batgirl / Batwoman again?  Nope!  Enter Kate Kane, a butt-kicking lesbian that just simply decided to be Batwoman (seriously, she just decided after meeting Batman that "I could do that!")


Anyway, this zero issue goes into her origin and explains all that.  It was boring, and I really don't think I can read through the rest of her series.  I'd be willing to overlook the pace if the art gave me something awesome, but I really hate all the crazy layouts and panels that's become the norm for this series.  The art also seems a bit... stringy?  for my tastes.  Often characters are drawn with strange thin lips and hair that reminds me of an old man's come-over that's fallen.  The film-noir style of only accenting some colors would work if this were, say, Constatine (or more literally) a Frank Miller comic, but here it just seems a bit out of place.
The pale and washed look reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns & Frank Miller books so much, that I almost excused the mediocre story... ALMOST.  When it's all said and done, there's not alot that makes me excited about Batwoman. 

If they wanted Batwoman to be a breakout title that pulled itself into the BatFamily of books, having all those things mentioned above going for it really make it too far out there and seperates itself too much for my liking.  Here's hoping Batwoman will simply be on her own for most of DC's New52.

Still, before the flashbacks, there was a bit of hope in that there's a joker-esk female character Batwoman's dealing with.  I don't think I can possibly read 12 issues to find out what this scene's about though.

No comments:

Post a Comment