I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Friday, June 26, 2015

DC New52 - Savage Hawkman #0 (Another Origin... Again)

Hawkman's been one of those characters DC has struggled with - and probably one of the reasons for some of the reorg-ing and ret-conning they've done with the various Crises.  This time, they're retelling Carter Hall's origins again, having him be an outcast from Thanagar and a fugitive wanted for killing their king, no less.  The king, being Shiera's brother, puts her in charge of Thanagar and out for vengeance against Carter, who somehow ended up on Earth.  It doesn't go into this in this zero issue, so I'm hoping the series will touch on how he got on earth.

Either way, the story itself is pretty generic.  Shiera seems pretty quick to accuse Carter of the murder, and not even listen to reason.  Maybe it's just because this is all within one zero issue, it feels pretty rushed.  But what is captivating is the fact that the book ends with Shiera finding Carter in a 'What's gunna happen next?' cliffhanger.  I think that's what was the most appealing, honestly.  I wanna see what she does now - which is (I'm sure) where the book currently is.



I did also enjoy the story of the Nth metal being completely mystical and having unknown properties.  It explains why Carter's not walking around with a giant duffel bag with his harness & wings in it, before turning into Hawkman.  Explain it away with a mystical metal that makes those wings and gives him flight after covering his body ala Venom?  Okay!  I'm on board!



Hard to say if I want to continue reading this title.  I think after the main conflict between Shiera and Carter are settled, it may be something I'm not interested in at all.  But, I'll give it a shot, I guess.  Artwork's not bad; colors pop... Just hope the writing will be a little less predictable and exciting.  I counted 5 times Carter says that his brother-in-law was doing bad things.  5 times in a 20 page book.  Geez... we get it... Hawkman's a good guy.

Oh, and there's phallic worms on Thanagar, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment