I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Friday, June 26, 2015

DC New52 - Sword of Sorcery Amethyst #0 (Harry Potter in Medieval Times)

So this is essentially an Alice In Wonderland / Harry Potter / Narnia story.  Basically, a modern teen hates moving around everywhere and stuff, and is a little punk.  Her mom promises to take her to her "real home" when she comes of age.  Insert stereotypical bad guys coming for princess scenario & inadvertently opening the main character's eyes to a world they never knew existed.  This is basically The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, in comic book form.  I know there was a Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld series back in the 80's, and it would be interesting to see if this character's mom is the same main protagonist there.  But I'm not going back to 80's tiny-panel-style for Amethyst, just to see their correlation.

I don't think I'll be following up on this series, because there wasn't a whole lot here that captured my attention.  I think it's interesting to see DC take a trip to another world with sword and sorcery, but there's other pubs that do it better.  I mean, let's face it, every sword slashing battle that's depicted basically makes me wish I were reading Dungeons and Dragons or some Drizzt adventure.



In true "protagonist learns of a greater destiny & of a world beyond them" fashion, the main character is pulled into another realm!  Original, huh :(

Scenes like these are a dime-a-dozen in other publisher's books.  Or better still, go read some official D&D stuff.  Not sure I can really get into a fish-out-of-water story in a magical realm (FOR THE 30th TIME!)


There's also follow-up story in this 2-packed-in-1 issue: Beowulf...

Just about as interesting as it sounds, Beowulf is here!  (Wherever "here" is.)  We're never given a clear picture of what planet, realm, etc... we're on or even WHEN it is.  Judging by the hunting party in search of Beowulf, it looks as though it's old Nordic times & place.  However, Beowulf emerges from a high-tech chamber looking all cyborg like with a high-tech sword, then proceeds to slay all those on the expedition to find him.  



The kid telling the tale explains that they were there to recruit him - not to slay him - and that he is to come back with them to be the hero they know he is.  So Beowulf's like, "Sure!  I'm a hero!  I'll slay this monster Grendel for you!  I'm Beowulf, yo!"



Anyway, this is a strange story, and it was too predictable and corny for me to really get into.  I think it's somewhat interesting to have Beowulf as a cyborg from the future, but if he's not there to kill John Conner, I'm out!  Furthermore, there are hints that maybe this is the distant (maybe post-EMP era) future, since there's a few newer building types shown with overgrowth... eh... still not enough to captivate me.  Maybe I'm being too harsh, but there's just SOOOOO many comics out there, that, at this point, I think we can afford to be selective.  Especially when I'm like 5 years behind on my reading. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment