I read LOTS of Comics...

So, I read comics (duh, with a handle like, "SpiderMitch")... I read everything from the big boys like DC & Marvel, to the mid-sized Image, Dark Horse, IDW, & Aspen, to the independent and smaller publishers like Big Dog Inc & Zenescope...
Anyway, I thought it would be kinda cool to see if I could do a few write-ups after I finish reading comics. You may not necessarily agree with what I have to say, but that's the fun of reading comics: each person has different interpretation and tastes. Here I hope to share my experience (whether it be good or not so good), and have a little fun and humor along the way!

I'll try not to give away too many spoilers, but it's my hope you read these reviews after you've read the issue, so you can comment if you want!

I'm a little behind on what I read, since I try to do so chronologically. This often has me jumping from title to title to fit everything in a massive reading order. Generally I read simultaneous publishers / events at a time.
It may be handy to use the navigation filters above to jump to specific publishers, events, or specific characters!


P.S. I'll be using my phone & tablets to both read the comics & write these reviews, so if there's spelling mistakes / layout issues, sorry!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

DC New52 - Dial H #0 (Seriously? Bumper Carla?)

So in trying to give all the New52 series a try, I left some of the more obscure titles toward the end.  I had gathered that Dial H was a sort of reality-hoping mystery team that solved the unexplainable by using magic.  I'm not sure where I gathered this conclusion, but what I read in the Dial H zero issue was nothing like that... and I mean NOTHING!

I really didn't like this.  The concept may be cool but the execution was too far off in left field for me.  Basically this girl touches a tablet and becomes something else that can magically combat the attacking creature.  What she becomes is (get this): Bumper Carla!  No kidding. A super hero that has a magical bumper cart.

I actually stopped reading at this moment.  Later I decided I passed judgment too soon and went back.  What I found is that the book actually took itself seriously instead of being comical about it.  I I think that's the fault I couldn't overlook.  In a universe that has Billy Baton turning into an adult after saying a magic word, it's a little believable that there's magic that could give someone powers, but why pick something so dorky and then NOT have the humor to poke fun of itself.  The book goes one step further by giving the Bumper Carla persona a back story as a champion in another dimension!

If you were a complete newb to Dial H and picked up this zero issue thinking you'd check it out, you'd be really hard pressed to read another issue.  This is the boat (or bumper cart) I'm in; I don't think I'll continue with this series until I hear something that makes me want to try again... and that would have to be one hell-of-an-awesome thing...

Bumper Carla... I mean, seriously...

No comments:

Post a Comment